Sunday, November 24, 2013

...and Christian Warfare


There have been other guests here too. Pastor Felix came to see me a couple of days ago and told me he had some friends arriving. These turned out to be four Indonesian born-again Christians on a week’s visit to Mali and on a special mission to Djenne. They went on a guided tour of the town of course, and also went in to the Great Mosque. ‘What did you think of the Mosque?’ I asked. The senior of the two men – an Indonesian Pastor- told me they had accomplished what they came to do. ‘Oh? And what was that?’ I inquired. ‘We conducted Christian Warfare’, replied the Pastor. Somewhat alarmed I lied: ‘Oh, I see!’ And how did you managed to go about that? ‘ One of us has the task of diverting attention while the rest of us worked’.  It turned out that their warfare was of the most gentle type, and that it only involved prayer. When they left the charming women insisted they had to pray with me too- had they noticed that I suffered from bad temper?-  and I was happy about that of course- who knows? any goodness coming my  way like this might be useful and is certainly welcome. So here we are, in a prayer- clinch.

4 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Oh, this is jolly (holy) funny - I'm surprised that you're not gurning slyly at the camera (but I suppose it was the Chief Warmonger who took the picture?) Then again, maybe your, may I be so rude as to say, somewhat wandering Xian principles seized hold of you?

3:47 PM  
Blogger toubab said...

But Darling, I really thought this part of it was lovely and I was very touched! The Warfare in the Mosque, well that was rather funny and may not quite be how I would put things, but you know I AM a Christian after all, however unlikely it may seem...

5:25 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Good on yer, Sophe!

3:02 PM  
Blogger David said...

OK, then, I'll bless you if you asked them first to pray for the rights of all peaceful worshippers to pray to God in whatever shape or form they choose. Because, bizarre as it may seem, zealots like these don't ever think their actions through.

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home