Wednesday, February 11, 2009


What did the Bishop say?

Well, his pronouncement was a masterpiece of diplomacy. With one hand he excommunicated me, whilst with the other he gave me his blessing.
That is to say: if I marry Keita I would be putting myself into a highly 'irregular' situation; in this case, I would be committing bigamy, and it is impossible for the church to condone it. Therefore I would not be able to continue to take communion, as long as Keita was alive.
However, at the same time, the Bishop said that in this case he saw a core of real love here, a love which continued until the end regardless of circumstances. This was the sort of love found in the gospel he said, and Christ would not judge me adversely. Therefore he said he would be prepared to give a ceremony of blessing for Keita and me should we require him to do so...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home