Wednesday, July 21, 2010


Fortunately, the way of the world decrees that good days follow the bad. And common sense and proportion prevail once more. Or is it common sense? It is perhaps the knowledge that I need this place at the end of the earth. The fact is that I don’t want to live in Sevare. I don't want to live anywhere but Djenne, at least for now.
I like the fact that I am the only toubab in Djenne. I have plenty of toubabs to talk to at the hotel.
| go riding on Maobi with Pudiogou on Max when the heat of the day has subsided. We gallop across the fields, muddy from the recent rain, where soon the fishermen will throw their nets when the floods arrive from the mountains of Guinea, whence the Bani and the Niger spring. How could I not want to be here? Nothing is like the Sahel, and in the Sahel, nothing compares to Djenne.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home