Monday, February 21, 2011


I rode in the company of a Swedish lady, Christina, and her Niger boyfriend who travelled with Max and the carriage, driven by Pudg. We had breakfast very early and then set off towards Sirimou, the lovely little Bozo village about 7k. from Djenne, which has featured a few times before on this blog.
There was no stopping Maobi. Although we cantered most of the way, he was not even tired by the time we reached Sirimou, he just neighed enthusiastically and danced around, happy to be out and about, exploring. We returned to Djenne at lunchtime, but he was hardly sweating even, in sharp contrast to me. I think he could have carried on all day!
He is certainly quite unruly, and all Europeans I have spoken to tell me to have him castrated, which is the normal procedure for us of course. But that would simply not do here. For once I do care what people think: Local people who know about horses recognize Maobi to be quite special and they admire him. If I can't handle him that is my problem. There is nothing wrong with him. But I can handle him, goddammit, I can....

4 Comments:

Blogger _ylva said...

Keep the patiente and good luck ;) I'm cheering for you too get a companion relationship with your beautiful stallion! Hugs ylva

6:52 PM  
Blogger toubab said...

hello Ylva, I am wondering if you are my old school friend Ylva?.....?

11:37 PM  
Blogger _ylva said...

Nope, I'm your cousins daughter - Pelles nr 2! Sorry I didnt introduce myself better. :) I'm enjoying reading the blog, especially about the horse adventures!

7:14 PM  
Blogger toubab said...

ok, that Ylva. Even better! when are you coming to see me? Noone is allowed to ride Maobi, but if you come, I will make an exception!
xSophie

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home