Friday, September 21, 2012

When I lived in Tobago, in 1998, there was a bar where we used to sit towards sunset- it was precariously perched on a rock overlooking the Carribean at some height. We called it the ‘Reality Check’, because if you sat there for half an hour or so everything would miraculously fall into place. The trifling problems of the day which had loomed so large shrunk into proportion once more, and what mattered came into focus. My sunset terrace overlooking the Mosque of Djenne is my Reality Check. The dramatic rainy season skies soothe my soul, in tatters from the mundane tribulations of daily life. It is the best time of the day, now enjoyed alone, but often in the past in the company of friends- known or just passing by once, perhaps never to be met again.

5 Comments:

Blogger Susan Scheid said...

I love this idea of a "Reality Check." We sit out evenings on our front porch and watch the sun go down, coloring the clouds as it dips down. I will remember what you've written here now, whenever I look out.

4:24 PM  
Blogger David said...

Fond memories of sunset on the roof with you and the Cazalets - J bumped into Mark the other day; apparently his son, who's now off to Africa to teach - how time flies - remembers our games of Chiddingstone and needs to be reminded of the rules!

8:39 PM  
Blogger toubab said...

Chiddingstone???Can you remind me too? Sounds fun! I miss games. Remember playing that first line novel game with you all at Bella's in Suffolk. I came up with a really good W.G Sebold imitation which you all fell for!
xxS

4:38 PM  
Blogger David said...

It's the card game with different rules for each round (mostly minus points for winning tricks you don't want).

Can't remember if the occasion was at Bella's, but I know I'll annoy you if I remind you of the F Scott Fitzgerald round when the most ludicrous of all the entries - accordingly chosen by no-one - turned out to be the author's...

7:14 PM  
Blogger toubab said...

No you won't annoy me at all, darling. I know you don't like Fitzgerald, and we are all entitled to our opinions, even if they are wrong!

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home