Tuesday, January 01, 2013

The sun has set over 2012.

The group of Americans and Australians that celebrated the New Year at the hotel, once more with armed guards patrolling at night, left this morning. I have a terrible head cold which refuses to budge, so I am spending quite a lot of time in bed, in a semi- feverous state where snippets of song lyrics come flittering past, some of them making a nuisance of themselves. My American friend Karen who spent Christmas here brought along some Christmas music, but of the American variety. We therefore listened to ‘White Christmas’ etc. but also to anything which had remotely to do with Christmas, such as George Michael’s : ‘Last Christmas’. Now, here is a useless piece of song lyrics if I ever heard one. I am putting in a formal complaint against this song. Last Christmas, I gave you my heart But the very next day, You gave it away This year, to save me from tears I'll give it to someone special I thrash around on my bed, annoyed and vaguely aware that there is something very wrong here, which is keeping me from snoozing: Why would the recipient of George Michael’s heart want to hand that on to someone else?? And would that person be interested in second hand hearts? And how many hearts are we talking about here? Did he have a heart transplant meantime? Well, as I said, I am slipping in and out of a paracetamol twilight zone...

6 Comments:

Blogger Gilliane said...

Happy New Year Sophie,
I hope your cold disappears soon :)
Funny that you are pondering over George Michael's
lyrics, it's obviously a symptom :)
Listen to some Wagner, that should get rid of this pop anxiety :)

9:29 AM  
Blogger toubab said...

No darling Gilliane, I fear it will make it worse. All that surging uncertainty. I think a Bach fugue might sort it out.
A Great New Year to You!!!

4:16 PM  
Blogger David said...

Dahling, got a lovely Bach new year cantata over my way which if you can access it would do you the world of good. JSB always for touching base.

4:55 PM  
Blogger toubab said...

Great David!I will pick it up on CD when I come
much love xxxs

9:02 PM  
Blogger David said...

I mean on the blog - can you pick up the YouTube 'embedded' stuff or does reception make it tricky? You need it NOW. Hope the cold's improved. Mine has gone to my right ear and J's to his chest but we are fundamentally jolly.

12:07 AM  
Blogger toubab said...

'YouTube 'embedded' stuff ?'Ehh?
Don't forget you are talking to someone in the Interior of Africa! Our internet connection is of the neolithic variety!

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home