Friday, April 12, 2013

Heat, Dust and Uncertainty

Keita has left for Segou.
The thermometer shows  35 Celcius in my bedroom.
Great dust clouds are whipped up at the passing of a horse and cart or a moped. Most colours have disappeared and all is becoming a uniform pale ochre.  I go riding with Petit Bandit late afternoon across the great dusty plains, then  I sit alone on my sunset terrace watching the Djenne boys at their football games- little stick figures like a Laurie painting, surrounded by halos of dust with the Great Mosque behind.
After the excitement of the fashion show and the TV companies all has gone quiet. There is nothing on the horizon to work towards, and an unaccustomed feeling of abandonment and lack of direction has taken hold.
What will happen next? What should I do? Can I stay on here? For the first time since I arrived in Djenne, I am beginning to doubt my presence here. Everything was so clear before, now I don’t know...

4 Comments:

Blogger Pascal et Monique said...

What a sad post! But we believe in your own strength! Maybe just a little trip to your other beloved places and a short escapade to Lyon could help waiting for better times?
We will be glad to welcome you here.
Pascal and Monique

9:33 PM  
Blogger David said...

Phoenix-like, you will rise again soon - remember what you said about the extremes. And the heat/dust can affect the constitution, too. Your own unique force of will can only help you forge forward. But aren't you due your official return to Blighty soon?

Anyway, love as always from us both xx

10:12 PM  
Blogger toubab said...

Ah Oui! Lyon et les Bouchons et quelques Pots avec vous et tout ira mieux!
And yes indeed, Blighty beckons too, soon, but not sure exactly when. And of course I will feel great soon again, how right of you to point out the extremes- I always forget...
xxxS

12:31 AM  
Blogger Susan Scheid said...

I can well imagine the silence after such tremendous activity and heat getting one down, not to mention all else that is happening where you are. I'm only sorry I didn't get here sooner to say hello. So glad to see things have come along to bring cheer, as you note in the next post.

1:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home