Friday, June 07, 2013


Secondly there is a huge MaliMali disaster in London:   the sandals Adama and I worked on for more than two weeks  in Bamako have been rejected by the smart Kensington  shop that ordered them as not being good enough. I have had to return the money and thirty pairs of sandals are sitting in London.  I bear the lady of the shop no grudges, but am of course sorry about what was clearly a misundertanding and a case of misplaced expectations. We worked extremely hard on these shoes and spent a lot of money getting them produced and sent. I think they are lovely. However, it is not Gucci quality clearly, and certain rough edges are unavoidable if you work with a local cobbler at the Artisanat of Bamako.

 
 

4 Comments:

Blogger Susan Scheid said...

But what does this really signify, this Gucci quality? I suppose I know, but somehow I think there is something not right in a world that doesn't value a beautiful, handmade shoe crafted with such loving care. There is more to this shoe than any other shoe can offer. There is, with this shoe, a resonant, durable connection with remarkable people in a remarkable place.

10:38 PM  
Blogger toubab said...

you are as always kind and see the positive side, Susan!
I suppose I have lived in Africa for a long time now, and although I insist on things being well made, I guess I have ceased to expect perfection. This story is forcing me to rethink the feasibility, ultimately, of producing items for export here.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is a great injustice that the jewel-coloured sandals of Mali Mali have been deemed unsuitable for fhe pedicured feet of West London ladies. We should mourn their loss of opportunity to show off their Nars nail polish to suitable effect.

Trying to think of a suitably interesting shop that might want them...

9:08 AM  
Blogger toubab said...

Claire,
I am putting up a picture just now on the blog of the sandals and on Facebook soon. I may try and arrange a sale somehow in London.If people scroll in on the picture they will see the stiching quality, which was the main problem I believe.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home