Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Sogolo


Although we have our differences when it comes to cleaning matters etc, there is one area where we do understand each other perfectly: my little griot loves animals, and they love him. Most Malians are indifferent and even cruel to animals. I am now potty about my little donkey foal Boubakar, and Karim laughs approvingly about this. He also knows that I love my stubborn little horse Petit Bandit, who has taken to following me around the large enclosure that surrounds the MaliMali studio and my house. He does this not because he loves me, sadly, but because I have an inexhaustible supply of burro (bread) in my bag, and he is a dominikelaba  (a glutton).

Karim’s greatest fan is our little cat Sogolo (named after the mother of Soundiata Keita).  She follows him around all day long- more like a puppydog than a cat, which I thought were supposed to be more independent. Whenever you see Karim, you can be certain that Sogolo is not far away. It is because he feeds her, yes, but I think their love affair goes deeper than that. It is a very sensual affair actually. Sogolo uses Karim quite unashamedly  as a caressing machine.

Every morning when Karim is using the foot pump for the pumping of  the water from the well to water the garden, Sogolo is there, using his feet for her pleasure...!

4 Comments:

Blogger Susan Scheid said...

These small glimpses of your daily life in Mali are particularly precious. I love to think of you and Karim both with your companion animals.

3:08 PM  
Blogger toubab said...

Ah, if you only could see my little Boubakar, the donkey foal!

3:43 PM  
Blogger David said...

Better to keep a familiar than pray with 'Christian' zealots *teasing*

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home