Friday, May 02, 2014

Djenne lunch

Although internet connection is sporadic in Djenne, I am finding the best way to communicate with the hotel and Baba now when I am in Europe  is via Facebook, which he can access on his telephone where the connection seems to work better.
I am fretting a bit today because we have a group of diplomats arriving for lunch in Djenne.  They are only doing a brief visit of the town and will not stay at the hotel, since some embassies  are still -rather inexplicably now-promoting the view that it dangerous to stay north of Segou. I want them to be well received of course and have arranged the menu with Papa who has found a large Capitaine (nile perch) for them.
There is no reason to worry it seems and I just received a message from Baba on Facebook with this picture of the lunch table. 'Everything is ready for them and we are just waiting now' he writes.
 He knows I like flowers on the table. I am so proud of my team!

7 Comments:

Blogger Pascal et Monique said...

Yes Sophie, you can be proud of them .. and of you too! You are the one who made this team what it is now. Congratulations to all of you for your hard work and commitment!
No little trip to Lyon before going back to Mali?
Monique and Pascal

11:21 AM  
Blogger toubab said...

Maybe... I would love to . I will be in touch xS

12:44 PM  
Blogger David said...

Unfortunately Sophie failed to track down the name of the little restaurant you took her to in time for our trip - but she did say that 'on va trabouler en Lyon', so we did that for the first time in four visits. What an inexhaustible city it is.

How very delicate is the floral decoration. Who'd have thought that was Hotel Djenne Djenno from the picture?

4:14 PM  
Blogger Pascal et Monique said...

Sorry Sophie, this is a little note for David ( even if we don't know him except from your blog!) David, next time you come to Lyon, ask us and we will be happy to take you in this little " bouchon".
Hope to see you soon, Sophie.
Monique and Pascal

9:58 PM  
Blogger toubab said...

Monique and Pascal,
what IS the name of that faboulous BOUCHON? I think it was just about the best meal I have ever had!

7:34 AM  
Blogger David said...

Vous etes tres gentil, Monique et Pascal! I should add that though we missed out on the bouchon experience - odd times for performances at the opera, and the bouchons keep such strict hours - I did have andouilette etc in a fabulous, unpretentious St Germain restaurant with our Parisian friends - their excellent recommendation - on the way back.

The best meal I think I have ever had was SOPHIE'S SWEDISH MEATBALLS on Friday night. Maybe I flatter, but they're certainly echt or whatever that word is in Swedish.

3:00 PM  
Blogger David said...

At the risk of behaving like a cuckoo in Sophie's nest, I have blogged on the traboules we visited - in case Pascal and Monique are looking. I'd be interested to know if they approve.

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home