Sunday, August 03, 2014

Max visits



I have a heavy, continuous feeling of living my last days here. I am not quite sure whence this feeling springs: maybe I am manufacturing it because I wish it to be so? Maybe I am feeding on the advice of the two people with whom I have spoken about it: my potential literary agent in London who says that if I do indeed think that it is the end here I should gather the information necessary to ‘wrap it up’. Peter, the Swedish ambassador who passed by here not long ago by also thought I must observe life around me now, note things down  and make the most of these days, because later all the precious details will be gone.  Therefore I am living my days in a sort of heightened sensitivity, which is quite tiring... 

Today  the lovely Max suddenly returned  from the past, ridden by the Fulani Horseman I knew a long time ago.  The Fulani had found him wandering on the road to Senossa, seemingly lost. He thought he still belonged to me and rode him here.
But I had sold Max in January 2012, deciding that I was unable to support the expense of two horses any longer.  Max  had remained with us for nearly six years when I made the hard decision to get rid of him.  To see him again made me quite sad. I thought of my dear Pudiogou and of all the good times we had during so many years:  I rode any one of my succession of horses but Pudge always rode Max . He was the only one to manage to get any life out of him. Max is beautiful but lazy.  Regardless of his charcoal exterior he was always something of a dumb blonde.  He had not lost any of his good looks or his sweet nature, and I was almost tempted to keep him, but soon thought the better of it: what would I do with him without Pudge?  So I gave the Fulani some money to make a communiqué at the local radio station to tell the owner where to find him. Then he left on the lovely Max... I cried a few tears  and then, with my sunset whisky on the terrace I got even more sentimental and called Birgit who said she thought that Max  had come to say good bye...

6 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Well, you're certainly making poetic prose out of an undeniably poignant situation. Just don't take it as an omen, otherwise you WILL will your own departure; it's coincidence. But as to your real instincts, only you know best.

dxxx

6:42 PM  
Blogger toubab said...

I think it was a passing phase- already passed! Today I thought I would stay the rest of my life here...xxS

7:31 PM  
Blogger mary said...

I am pleased if it was a passing phase as I for one would miss your missives enormously. How else would we know what was really happening in Mali? Think about what you would miss if you were not there as well as what you are missing by being there.Dilemmas!Mary

10:36 PM  
Blogger toubab said...

Yes, Mary. And tomorrow I am off into the bush with Dembele my bogolan assistant, to work with an ancient woman who will teach us her techniques: a rare opportunity to try and save some of this beautiful work before it dies out. And yesterday I spent the day with 'my' marabouts in the Djenné manuscript library finding out fascinating things about Djenné- would my life be as exciting in Ladbroke Grove? Perhaps not...

12:20 AM  
Blogger mary said...

Certainly not. You are certainly living in an uncertain political climate but what opportunities you are discovering. So exciting and important to ensure that history is recorded. Well done.Mary

7:12 AM  
Blogger David said...

Well, discovery is possible in Ladbroke Grove too - but of the interior kind. Which I'm sure is also happening in Djenne...Anyway, I'm glad your profoundly capricious self is fully functioning.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home