Friday, July 15, 2011


This is Daniel, an English Financial analyst, who spent a couple of days here in Djenne as the only guest in my empty hotel. He had started his career as a salesman and migrated into finance quite by accident. His talents as a salesman became quite apparent, because he managed to sell me his idea of the current world financial situation extremely efficiently. Daniel is convinced that we are standing on the brink of the annihilation of the West as we have known it. It is a question of months, not years, he told me. And apparently he is not alone in this belief. One aspect of his 'brink of disaster' approach is quite creative. I had been feeling guilty about indulging in such frivolous pursuits as silver and gold jewellery fabrication with my jeweller Sory in town. I thought I could not really afford it. But Daniel tells me this is the only thing I should get involved in! As much silver and gold as I can get my hands on is his advice. OK, no problem, here goes! I don't need much encouragement in this direction... We will buy the available Maria Theresia Silver Thalers with Kissiman in the market this very Monday coming, and we shall set to work to stave off disaster immediately!
And why am I in a wheel barrow???
Because I have once more had a silly accident on my horse. But yet again, it wasn't even a proper accident! I mean I wasn't even thrown off in full career, cutting a dashing romanic figure, hair flying in the Sahel wind which might have been a bit more news worthy. NO, the stirrup leather was not properly fastened, and I just hit the ground quite matter-of-factly as I mounted a calm and well behaved Maobi two days ago.
I went for the ride, and nothing seemed to be the matter. But the following morning I could not walk! Daniel brought me to Mopti on his way in his lovely 4X4,depositing me at the hospital where |I had an ex-ray which revealed that I had a crack in a bone, warranting crutches and rest, but not really a plaster. I spent the night at la Maison Rouge, drinking lots of wine and arguing amicably with Amede, which is our want.
I had the pleasant foresight to co-incide my silly accident with the 14th of July celebrations among the toubabos of Sevare/Mopti where everyone had been invited to celebrate Bastille Day with the French Military, who put on a lovely lunch where much good quality proper bubbly flowed. I tagged on happily on my crutches. Pictures will follow of Sophie nestling up amongst the last survivors of the 'Anciens Combattants' from the 'Tirailleurs Senegalais'....the African regiments who were present at the liberation of France at the end of WW2.

4 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Yes, the financial situation is appalling. But beware doom merchants in out of the way places like Djenne - not good for the head.

7:32 AM  
Blogger David said...

Oh dear, shouldn't have jumped in so quick - this is to say, sorry to hear about your bonecrack.

8:34 AM  
Blogger toubab said...

David dearest,
I know. But he didn't make me feel despondent or frightened. I take what happens fairly calmly. And Daniel- who was a lovely person and very knowledgable and interesting- did say that Mali is actually a good place to be if or when the awaiting Apocalypse hits. Those who can will simply revert to living off the land and will subsist like before.
Tourists will be a bit thin on the ground of course. But let's see, and meanwhile I shall relish making lots of silver jewellery!
Hugs to you bothxxxx

4:21 PM  
Blogger David said...

Dahling, if there is to be an apocalypse, it will start in Jerusalem if/when a fanatic blows up the Dome of the Rock - well, that's my own slightly crazy theory - not as a result of bank collapse. There's still an infinite amount of scaling-back we in the west can afford to do (though will we ever learn?) You know the Gandhi saying, enough in the world for everyone's need, not for everyone's greed. I think you should start watching the complete West Wing for a bit of balance.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home