Monday, May 05, 2014

Goodness...three weeks into my holiday already!



  I am still in London, ‘Glamping’, (Glamorous  Camping), as someone called it. It means that I am spreading myself out amongst my many and hospitable friends: a couple of days here, a week there. 
Just now I moved into my old friend Sanjay’s on the New King’s Road. I am enjoying his lovely and large flat which is full of all those high- tech mod-cons that someone like me (i.e.  fresh from the African bush) craves. When I go on holiday I don’t want anything ethnic or exotic: I already live in mud hotel in an ancient mud city...
No, I want shiny things that work: smooth beautiful surfaces and doors that open and shut without a sound; huge flat-screen TVs with every film imaginable at the touch of a button on the remote control; a fridge filled with champagne and cheeses, that wonderful commodity, entirely lacking in Djenné.  Luckily for me, Sanjay’s is just one such place...  and there is a very large and lovely bath here too: this is one of those old-fashioned luxuries which most people seem to have discarded in favour of power showers. But I am a fan of long baths, especially in Europe which is a very cold place as far as I am concerned. Don’t forget that the thermometer showed 43° when I left Djenné! 
(a post-script to the above addressed to my friends and London hosts: should your fridge happen to be lacking in champagne and the large flat screen TV be missing: fear not! I am not a spoilt brat I think and am genuinely extremely happy and grateful just to see my friends!)

My London life is not only filled with glamorous events and luxury however... I am trying out Portobello market to sell some Malimali garments. And believe me... I take my hat off and bow to market traders' resiliance. It is a hard way to earn ones's living, even though the sun was shining on a beautiful spring Saturday and we did really well;  it was quite gruelling... but I will continue on Friday next week too.

6 Comments:

Blogger Gilliane said...

Sophie, Your stall kooks stylish. I hope you did well
yesterday :) G xxx

6:21 AM  
Blogger David said...

Indeed. She is a stylish kook.

8:38 AM  
Blogger David said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:38 AM  
Blogger toubab said...

Some people think I am NOT a good cook, such as Giulietta for instance; She says when I am making Sunday lunch: "Oh Gawd, roast potatoes! And GRAVY made with flour?? We have moved on from the fifties, you know".
I may not be a cook, but perhaps I am a kook. I don't know? And thank you for finding me a stylish kook, David.
And thank you Gilliane, it did go well!

2:57 PM  
Blogger Kim Hart said...

Are you still at Portabello this coming weekend? Would love to come along and say hallo and see the Mali Mali designs for real. Kim

12:20 PM  
Blogger toubab said...

If it is not raining I will be there on Friday 16th- perhaps see you there!

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home